The Ewing Five -
RSS

Recent Posts

When did the movies become a bargain?
You're Not Special
Where Boston beats Sydney #1 -- Musical Theater
Where Sydney beats Boston #1…
An orchestra conducted beautifully...

Categories

October 2011
September 2010
September 2011
powered by

My Blog

Captain Kangaroo visit’s Australia

I love my mother to pieces, for many reasons, not the least of which is because she’s a really good sport.  She proved once again on her April visit to Australia that she can not only take a joke, but she can keep up with kids 60 years younger than her.  The boys were so incredibly excited to have Grandma visit and they showed her absolutely everything worth seeing over her three week stay, I have to imagine she’s exhausted (I know I am), but she never showed it.

If you want to see some photographic evidence of grandma in Australia, click here.

There were a couple highlights from her visit that are worth pointing out.  First, Grandma saw nearly every form of Australian wildlife except the wombat.  We saw wild koala’s, kangaroos, emu, wallabies, fairy penguins, and on, and on and on.  And at the zoo, Grandma saw a Tasmanian devil and a platypus and then some.  Now, all that wildlife seemed to make Grandma hungry, as the ultimate carnivore she even developed a taste for Australia’s national animal.  After eating kangaroo for the first time Grandma requested it again, and again; she even looked for Kangaroo Fajitas and the terrible mexican restaraunt we went to last weekend.  Hence the title Captain Kangaroo, she just couldn’t get enough.  (Plus, it’s pretty good eating, and if you’re interested in saving the environment, they are much friendlier to the ozone than cows… so eat more roo!)

A second highlight was definitely our trip through Victoria.  In addition to Melbourne, we drove the Great Ocean Road, stayed two nights in Warrnambool, watched hundreds of Little Penguin (also known as the Fairy Penguin) come ashore at sunset on Phillip Island, we visited Melbourne’s Old Goal (it’s pronounced jail… I know brilliant).  We packed a lot into six days, and had a blast.

A final highlight was over thirty years in the making.  In the late 1970’s the King Tut exhibit visited Chicago and drew so much attention that people slept outside the Field Museum just to get a good spot in line.  It drew millions to that first US showing, but all I remember is that when you’re eight years old, Chicago, Lake Michigan, the Field Museum, it was all pretty incredible and overwhelming.  I remember being fascinated by all the history, and especially taken by Tut’s solid-gold death mask.  Thirty-three years later and 9,672 miles away the same King Tut exhibit went on display at the Melbourne Museum the week we visited Melbourne – and my mom and I were there to close the loop.  The Melbourne Museum is outstanding, one of the best in the world, on par with the Field Museum (which I’ve since been back to as well); but, the King Tut exhibit has been tragically altered, they have removed the death mask.  I guess I shouldn’t complain, but that is a recurring theme in my posts, so why stop now.  I’m sure the death mask is in Cairo, or near the Valley of the Kings, but it was part of the exhibit in the 1970’s and they have certainly used it liberally in all their advertising… hmmm.  So while I felt a bit cheated that the death mask wasn’t there, the Tut exhibit was still pretty cool and even held the boys attention throughout.  If only uncle Bob had been there to complete the picture with his projectile talents.

So a nice visit with Grandma came to a bitter-sweet end on May 1 when she returned to the US.  We all enjoyed her visit so much, mostly because it was great to see her, but also because she’s such a trooper.  She went step for step with the boys, smiled the whole way and even caught us all many times for giant grandma hugs and kisses.

Come back soon!

26 Comments to Captain Kangaroo visit’s Australia:

Comments RSS
google on Monday, June 04, 2018 3:20 AM
googlegooglegooglegooglegooglegooglegooglegoogle

Google on Monday, June 04, 2018 3:21 AM
sasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasdsasdasdasd
Reply to comment

https://www.aussiewritingreviews.com/australianhelp-com-review/ on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:32 PM
it is always amazing to read your posts. you are a very interesting and soulful person. sure, there comes some complications but you know how to handle them

dissertation editing uk on Friday, June 29, 2018 5:56 AM
Our website provides legit dissertation discussion writing from good, top rated writers. These writers know how to make your dissertation discussion flow properly and follow a coherent structure to ensure you hit all of the urgent points while still maintaining an engaging piece of writing.

loemrntdherid1 on Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:01 AM
Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

hanryleo on Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:03 AM
Very impressive post it is. I really appreciate you for sharing this post. The information which you share in it related to mother love is very impressive. I really like it. Thank you so sharing this post. i surely share this with others. Keep sharing. long lasting electrical rubber matting

Ben Stoke on Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:14 AM
Mr Mike! I read your article which is about Captain Kangaroo visit’s Australia. I read whole article some points are very interesting. Thank you for sharing this. Van Racking for sale

Jessica Watson on Friday, April 19, 2019 6:44 AM
Wow. I am very happy to read that captain kangaroo visit’s Australia and i am so excited to read this post.Thanks and carry on it. Buy Garage Shelving for home garage

Plastic Boxes on Friday, April 19, 2019 7:25 AM
Your work great and better for everyone who new in blogging. Its very helpful for us. Your posting way is fantastic. Thank you very much for sharing this amazing post with us.

Mike hassy on Friday, April 19, 2019 10:56 AM
Your blog is really cool and great.its really great and cool. your blog is awesome and great.thanks for sharing the nice and cool post. buy entrance matting

Darren Bravo on Friday, April 19, 2019 11:23 AM
Great written by Mike. I like your work. You have done great job here. Thank you very for sharing this amazing post with us. Carry on it. playground rubber tiles

emlela on Sunday, April 21, 2019 3:25 PM
Great help dear and a fantastic post. Really like what you have posted .. i found it really useful and will utilize some of the tips here. Good share, thank you! christian quotes

Brandy on Sunday, April 21, 2019 7:33 PM
This post is good enough to make somebody understand this amazing thing, and I’m sure everyone will appreciate this interesting things. christian book store

Harry on Monday, April 22, 2019 1:45 PM
Its great content about exception. I am happy to see this post. Because after read this post i increase my knowledge. Thank you for sharing this amazing post with us. Birmingham driving lesson at low cost

John on Thursday, April 25, 2019 2:33 PM
I am really very thankful to you. You have share great information. Keep it up! yacht hire

Patio Covers on Monday, May 06, 2019 10:58 AM
You have great love and respect for the animals, I am glad to use that. And your painting related to them is just amazing. Good Job

lightwordreviews.com on Wednesday, May 08, 2019 7:17 AM
I am visiting your page for first time and I liked your page design and content.I have subscribed this link for writing asssignments help online.Thank you very much.

Peter on Sunday, May 12, 2019 6:41 PM
Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it’s nice to find a website the details so much information about different artists elderly companion services

Alfred Mason on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:54 AM
What a post it is. Great reading. your blog is very well written. I have also read your previous posts too and they are also very well written and very informative and useful too. Thanks for sharing this blog. London brick company with best quality

Shane Watson on Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:02 AM
Very good article with very good links in this post i would like to visit these links again and again.Thanks. Garage Racking

Monty on Saturday, June 29, 2019 12:39 PM
Thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information I like this site very much so much superb information retail box manufacturers UK

essay writing company on Monday, July 22, 2019 10:56 AM
I am sure that to have Grandma from Australia is incredible. Thanks for this nice story. I like the way you write so I will be waiting with a passion for new posts from you in the future.

sims 4 cheats on Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:22 AM
Your post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. I want to introduce for you about the game. in this game, you can create character and operate as same as in the real world. Click link to participate games.

Brig on Sunday, August 04, 2019 12:44 PM
We really appreciate the kind of topics you post here and best work you have done, keep it up mobile on installments

Siva on Sunday, August 04, 2019 2:44 PM
I visit and read your blog. Your article is very interesting. I am really impressed to see your work. I am happy to get great and cool information. Thank you and keep it invisalign aligners solutions

jeery on Thursday, August 08, 2019 12:49 PM
This is a beautiful blog about the visit and travel. I like your thoughts that you have shared. good work. buy cardboard boxes