The Ewing Five -
RSS

Recent Posts

When did the movies become a bargain?
You're Not Special
Where Boston beats Sydney #1 -- Musical Theater
Where Sydney beats Boston #1…
An orchestra conducted beautifully...

Categories

October 2011
September 2010
September 2011
powered by

My Blog

One Year and Counting

One year ago today the boys fell asleep at new student orientation.  We’d flown into Sydney that morning from pretty much the furthest destination possible and in addition to being culture shocked, they were just plain worn out.  I thought for sure it was a bad omen of things to come that when Dr. Lennox was speaking (he’s headmaster at Redlands) and the eyes of our jet-lagged boys fluttered shut.

“Oh boy,” I thought, “this is not a good first impression.”  Well regardless of the quality of that first impression, the boys have all thrived in their first year in Sydney.  I can’t tell you how proud I am of what they’ve done.  They are all leaders in their classes; they are true and loyal friends to boys and girls around the globe; they are super smart, get good grades and have the respect of their peers, teachers and parents; and, even though they fight like animals, they love and defend each other like brothers.

A lot has happened in the last year, but I’m most proud of my boys and the young men that they are becoming.

What else has happened… well let’s see...

• We’ve learned that Kookaburras hate me.
  • We know that houses in Sydney have no insulation and poor heating, which makes 10 degrees Celsius seem very cold and 40 feel very hot.
  • Research has demonstrated that it rains more in Sydney than Seattle.
  • My rants prove that I love to complain and even though we live in a remarkable, beautiful city filled with culture and great people that I’ll find something that just ain’t right to write about.

• Our family has collectively flown over 365,000 miles in the past 12 months… ughhh, I’m jet-lagged just thinking about it.

Truth is we’ve been incredibly blessed with adventure, wonder and togetherness as a family over the past year and have more ahead of us in the next.  I feel really lucky.

But, having just returned from the US I can tell you one thing I know to be true… all those miles must have calories.  Every time we go on one of these long trips I seem to put on 10 pounds.

And another thing, having just spent time with treasured friends and family, we truly must be the luckiest little band of travelers in the world.

9 Comments to One Year and Counting:

Comments RSS
Carol Ewing on Friday, July 29, 2011 1:48 PM
I can attest to the three wonderful boys! Your family is a blessing. Oh how I miss you but I am learning how to be a patient counter.
Reply to comment

https://www.aussiewritingr on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:26 PM
it is always amazing to read your posts. you are a very interesting and soulful person. sure, there comes some complications but you know how to handle them
Reply to comment

dissertation writing online on Friday, June 29, 2018 5:50 AM
You can also include a recommendation for further research in this section – this is not only helpful to your readers, but it also shows that you are thinking like an expert. You are looking into the practical applications and saying what should come next. It shows you deserve to be qualified.
Reply to comment

test on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:57 AM
test
Reply to comment

custom writing service on Friday, September 28, 2018 10:19 AM
Money spent on travelling makes people happier compared to spending money on material things. Our sense of connection with different people increases as we travel because it requires us pull out of our own cultural bubbles. I personally love travelling because it is important for me to create memories and live life to the fullest. 365,000 miles is truly amazing, and I suppose that you built a strong bond with your family through travelling. I'm actually looking forward to visiting Sydney on my Christmas break. What are the places that you can recommend? Thank you!
Reply to comment

q on Friday, May 24, 2019 3:57 AM
q
Reply to comment

resume planet reviews on Sunday, May 26, 2019 11:56 AM
For me, we should always be presentable during first meetings with strangers, new teachers, boss, and in working industry, we should always be presentable to clients because for me, first impression lasts. I always believe in that. We should be always displayed elegance in the first meetings, because that would be their first impression of you and that will be the one that will represent you, and that is the thing that they will think of you. So always remember to display elegance on first meeting!
Reply to comment

legal age of marriage in pakistan on Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:08 AM
Reply to comment

skyrim khajit names on Thursday, November 07, 2019 11:24 AM
These four groups are more variants depending on the Secunda phase of the smaller moon in Nim.
Reply to comment